CSS Modification #sidebar

The sidebar can be consider as important as the post body of a blog. The sidebar holds important information, internal or external links. It is the opposite of the post area while holding some of it’s features. The post area is dynamic, meaning that the information is constantly flowing, in comparison with the more static use of the sidebar. The sidebar area is used to keep some information static while serves as a feed for certain other applications.

At the moment I am using this area for both types of information. I will keep some important links to other pages that showcase my work, a twitter feed and links to other peoples websites. In the future, depending on the use of this blog, I might need archiving widgets, in order to make access of information easier, as it will be more than today. I explain more about the widgets I am using, on this post.

Starting with dimension and font. I increased the width as I had already increased the #wrapper width. The font order was changed. Helvetica is first. The line-height, which is the gap between lines of text was decreased from 160% to 125%. I added a border to the right of the sidebar with a fixed width of 8 pixels and colour of #f1f1f1 to blend with other borders. At the end bottom end of this border I added a radius of 18 pixels, and a border at the bottom of 1 pixel and the same colour. The two borders blend and create a nice rounded corner. I need to add the browser-specific radii properties for the just to be sure it’s compatible.

As I described in a previous post about the functions of this theme, apart from changing the specific symbol of this function, I changed its CSS property. Margin (left) had a value of -15 pixels which made the symbols float between the body and the sidebar. By setting this to -4 pixels it’s aligned with the rest elements of the sidebar.

For the sidebar’s link styles I changed the tag #sidebar with selectors :hover :focus and :active. The text-decoration was underline and I changed to none and the colour was #000, which I changed toΒ #1c9bdc.
This way the links will be visible on hover by changing colour instead of underline.

CSS Modification #navigation

On this theme the navigation bar is located on a separate tag than header. As I changed fonts throughout the blog, I decided to change the #nav ul tag from Charcoal, to Helvetica and as a second option Arial. Next on the #nav li a:visited I set the text-decoration to none because underlined links impact on the minimal design I try to preserve.
Finally, I did one more change on the #nav li a:hover, #nav .current_page_item a tags. Swapped underline with none and give it some colour when hovering, the #1c9bdc.

CSS Modification #header

I have done several modifications to the stylesheet in order to learn how CSS works and of course add a personal touch. I will start explaining from top to bottom.

#header
I decreased the height by about 3 times. It was taking up a lot of space from the blog without actually using it for anything. The header tag has also a border-bottom property which was set to 3 pixels, solid line and I changed to 2 pixels. I also changed the colour from #dadada to #f1f1f1 which is the shade of grey I ‘ll be using mostly.

.site title .description
Then I had to do some changes to the site title and the description classes so they sit well on the adjusted header. Other than the obvious changes, the rest is only for aesthetic reasons. I explain my decisions in the code within the comments.

 

before

screenshot of blog's header area

 

after

screenshot of blog's modified header area

 
All the changes described on this post and this post consist of the #header modifications.

Click here for the complete style.css file